CUP DRAWS 2019
Rules for 2019
Honours List from 1933
2018 Roll of Honour
Season Archives from 2012 onwards
The 1933 race for honours
2019 MCCGBA AGM report
Garston & Aigburth Leagues
Silver Bullet Bowls
Southport Ladies League
Southport Parks League
BCBGA Competition Highlights
BCGBA Membership Form
WELCOME TO THE FORMBY & DISTRICT BOWLING LEAGUE WEBSITE
The Formby & District Bowling League run two divisions, playing on Wednesday evenings. Please scroll down for news and notices.
LEAGUE FIXTURES FOR 2019 can now be viewed through the Tables link at the top of this page.
Chairman: Dave Butterworth
Secretary: Ken Buckley 01704 872834
Results Secretary: Chris Willan 07960267261
Treasurer: George Gough County Delegate: David Halewood
Scorecards to be submitted to the Results Secretary and to reach him within 48 hours of match completion. IF SENT BY EMAIL, PLEASE RETAIN FIXTURE CARD.
All postponements and re-arrangements are to be confirmed with the Secretary.
AGM HELD 21/1/2019
Summary of main points arising.
- As we are carrying a healthy surplus, the Committee will consider reducing club subs in 2020.
- Over half of our clubs still have not appointed a Safeguarding Officer and will be liable to fines if not in place by 1st March 2019 (see separate item on this web site).
- The same 24 teams as per 2018 will play in 2019, again with two divisions of 12 teams.
- The league calendar will broadly be as last season, start Wed 3rd April, end Wed 11th Sep.
- Cup prelims and 1st round will be on Wednesdays as last season. However, as Crescent are now having their lights restored, making four such clubs in our league, cup semis and finals are expected to be floodlit on 18th and 25th September.
- On line resuts entry should be available in 2019 for those wishing to use this facility.
The Spring Registration Meeting will be Monday 11th March, 8pm at the Northern.
The following Rule change proposals were all accepted at the AGM
Rule 27 to be rewrirtten as follows. “The Visitors shall have first throw of the Jack. Check markers to be used.”
(note our existing rule 22 says we follow BCGBA rules, in which their rule 3.4 specifies how check marking is performed. This will be copied onto our fixture card so no need to reproduce in our Rules).
New Rule 29 to be added as follows. “Any team member (player or spectator) being guilty of disorderly conduct, using objectionable language or violating the rules of the League may be subject to disciplinary action, including possible expulsion from the League.” If accepted, existing Rule 29 to renumbered to 30.
Existing Rule 29. Change “three days” to “seven days”, and increase “£1” to “£10”.
If anyone wants a copy of the AGM minutes, please contact the League Secretary.
ROLL OF HONOUR
The 2018 roll of honour has been added to the website, please scroll down the page to view.
Earliest records found indicate that the Formby and District bowling League was founded in 1933, as shown by the first league winners inscribed on the Lister Cup, which is still awarded to this day for the League Division 1 winners. (See also the Archival section on this web site).
In fact the race for honours in 1933 was described in a 1933 newspaper article, as reproduced on a pillar in the Railway Hotel, Formby, and shown as follows:-
With only four more games, Formby Conservatives have a lead of four points. Their position was strengthened by the defeat of the Southport team, Railway Hotel, Ainsdale, who lost by one in their game with the Railway Hotel, Formby. There were several games decided by one or two points only, and the decision was in doubt to the last end, Ainsdale doing their utmost to save a point, or get both, in order that they should retain their position in the race for honours.
A four a side knock-out competition on neutral greens is attracting great deal of attention, and the surprise of the first series of games was the defeat of Formby Trinity ‘A’ by Formby Trinity ‘C’ by six points.’’
(KB note. The Lister Cup shows that the 1933 league winners were the Railway Hotel, Ainsdale, who in fact were league winners fourteen times between 1933 and 1959).
(Monday 19 March 2018)
FORMBY AND DISTRICT BOWLING LEAGUE
CONSTITUTION AND RULES JANUARY 2019.
Rules 27, 29 (now renumbered 30) updated as underlined and new rule 29 added following AGM January 2019.
- ADMIN. The League is called ‘’Formby & District Bowling League, and is open to Male and Female members.
- The objects of the League shall be to organise, encourage and develop the Game of Bowls in the Formby and District, and to play in conformity with the Laws of the Game as set out by the British Crown Green Bowling Association.
- The headquarters of the League shall be the Northern Club, Elm Avenue, Moor Park, Crosby.
- The Officials of the League shall consist of a President, Chairman, Secretary, Fixture/Competition Secretary, Treasurer and County Delegate, who will form the Executive Committee. The said Committee shall have the right to make those decisions necessary for the efficient running of the League, subject to the right of the Management Committee to over-rule by a simple majority any such decision. Any decision reached by the Executive Committee shall be subject to the right of any Club or Club Member to appeal, for a decision of the full Management Committee. Any appeal must be sent in writing to the League Secretary, to be received within 14 days of the decision reached by the Executive Committee, when such an appeal shall be put before the full Management Committee as soon as possible, whose decision shall be final. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt as it deems necessary.
- The Executive Committee together with two Delegates from each Club will form the Management Committee. The said Delegates to be nominated by their respective Clubs and their names sent in Writing to the League Secretary. The Executive Committee will call for meetings of the Management Committee as occasion demands. Any Club not represented may be fined by the Management Committee, no Club shall be allowed to attend any meetings unless all due fees are paid. A quorum shall consist of four of the Executive Committee members.
- The Formby & District Bowling League shall operate one Bowling League, all games scheduled for Wednesday evenings, consisting of Divisions containing a maximum of 12 teams per Division.
- The number of Clubs that the League shall consist of will be at the discretion of the Management Committee. A Club desirous of becoming Affiliated with the League must be Proposed, Seconded and accepted by a majority of the League Management Committee. A Club shall not be accepted into the League unless in possession of a green upon which to play their Home games. All Clubs must notify the League Secretary not later than the first Monday of November of each year of how many teams they will be entering in the League.
- Facilities shall also be given to the League secretary to attend various Club Headquarters and Greens, when engaged on League Business.
- All Monies must be paid to the Treasurer, who will pay all accounts, any monies received by any other League Official must be handed to the Treasurer who shall Bank all monies in the name of the League. No liability exceeding £10 shall be undertaken without the sanction of the League Executive Committee. All cheques drawn on behalf of the League must be signed by any of two of League Treasurer, Chairman or Secretary.
- An honorarium shall be paid to the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Fixture & Competition Secretary and the Honorary Treasurer at the end of the financial year, the respective amounts thereof to be decided at the AGM.
- Winners and Runners-Up of all Divisions of the League may receive Prizes or Medals as appropriate. The amount for same to be decided upon a meeting of the Management Committee. They shall be presented at the Annual General Meeting. Divisional Winners to hold the appropriate Cup or Trophy to the end of the following season and to give written guarantees for their safe custody. These trophies and all individual trophies shall remain the property of the League, and cannot be won outright.
- No alteration or addition to these Rules shall be made except at the Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting. Forty two days notice in writing shall be given to the League Secretary setting forth in detail such proposed alterations or deletions. No Rule shall be altered or deleted, or added to unless carried by at least two-thirds of those voting and entitled to vote at the meeting.
- Any changes in Rules will come into force upon completion of the Annual General Meeting.
- MEETINGS. The Annual General Meeting shall be held in January of each year, when the Business shall Include (a) the election of the Executive Committee members (b) the League Secretary shall present his report for the past season, and (c) the Treasurer shall present a full account of receipts and disbursements, after it has been duly audited by the official auditors, who will be elected by the Management Committee. (d) The meeting will also consider any proposed Rule changes and (e) the composition of the League for the following season. (f) Awards of Prizes/Trophies.
- Fourteen days notice in writing of the Annual General Meeting to be sent to each Club Secretary. Any player registered during the past season shall be eligible to attend the Annual General Meeting, but only three representatives from each Club will be allowed to vote on any subject under discussion. The League Chairman shall have a casting vote, except when a change of Rules takes place whenever there is a deadlock in the voting. The names of the Club Representatives to be sent in writing to the League Secretary prior to the Commencement of the Meeting.
- A pre season Registration Meeting to be attended by club captains and/or nominees will be held in March to receive Player registrations, club fees and to finalise dates for the season. Players wishing to play in the League must register quoting their BCGBA number on an official schedule for the League. The schedule must be returned to the Membership & Competition Secretary for registration before the first Tuesday in April. Each Club shall pay a subscription (per team) as determined by the Annual General Meeting, this shall be paid to the Treasurer before 30th April each year. Any amount outstanding after that date will be subjected to a 10% surcharge. Such surcharge will increase by a further 5% for each month, or part month any amount remains outstanding.
- COMPETITIONS. All entries to league Competitions must be made through Club Secretaries, and each Club shall be responsible to the League for the payment of entrance fees in respect of its entrants, the fee to accompany the Competition Form.
- All League and Cup Matches shall be played on the scheduled dates, except where individual Club Rules require otherwise. If through unfavourable weather or any other cause over which the Clubs or League have no control, a Match cannot be commenced or completed on the fixed date, the Clubs concerned must mutually arrange to play or complete the match within 21 days, and the Home Captain must notify the League Secretary accordingly. If this has not been done by the time stated, the Executive Committee will fix a date, and their decision will be final. It is essential that both Captains report to the Green on Match nights, irrespective of the weather, in order that the provisions of this rule can be strictly adhered to. Shortage of players will not be an acceptable reason for postponement. In any match which is awarded as a WALK OVER, then the points awarded to the non offending team shall be the maximum of either 12 or 13 depending if they were the home or away team.
- Players must be registered three days before playing a League match (so by Sunday evening for a Wednesday match). Any Club playing an unregistered player shall forfeit the relevant points for each offence and shall be fined £2 by the League. Additional players may be registered after the first Tuesday in April. Registered players shall be eligible to play for only one Club in any one League, subject to the discretion of the Executive Committee. A player may be allowed to transfer to another Club provided he or she has not played more than three matches for his or her original club, and is not indebted to his original Club. No transfer will be allowed after 31st May (during a given season). The last date for new registrations shall be June 30th.
- A Player shall not play two games in a match, nor play in more than one match on a night. Competing players shall be drawn against each other, including Captains, in sections of four players from each side. A Player, having played six or more games in a particular Division, shall not be eligible to play in a Lower Division of the league (during a given season). Where a Club has two or more Teams in the same Division, a Player having played six or more games for one side, cannot play for any other side (during a given season). In a rearranged game which corresponds with a game that was played on its original night (or rearranged date) by that club’s other team, a player cannot play in both games.
- In League matches, the ‘Home Team’ is responsible for all Greenage charges.
- All League games shall be played by 10 players on each side. Games to be 21 up and governed by the British Crown Green Bowling Association Laws of the Game. Two points awarded for the highest aggregate score for a Home win; three points if Away. If the Aggregate scores are equal, the Home team to receive one point and the Away team to receive two points. In addition teams receive one point for each individual winning player. At the end of the season the teams with the highest number of points to be declared the Divisional winners. The two Teams in each Division with the lowest number of points shall be relegated, and replaced by the two teams from the Division below them who have scored the highest number of points. In the event of Teams scoring equal number of points, the Executive Committee shall arrange for them to play a deciding game on a neutral venue.
- The Green shall be at the disposal of the Home team only from 30 minutes prior to the start of the match, then for the succeeding 15 minutes only, at the sole disposal of the Visitors for the 15 minutes immediately preceding the start of the match. In addition, the Visiting team captain has the option of starting his fifteen minute practice at any time during the Home team practice session. In Cup Competitions, other than the Presidents Cup, the Team drawn out first shall be deemed to be the Home team, and the Team drawn out second shall be deemed to be the Away team. In individual competitions no practice will be allowed on the day of play, except where a competitor had received a bye/walk over on the day of play, and is drawn against a player who has competed on that day.
- All League games will commence at the times agreed by the Management Committee and stated in the League handbook or Fixture Card. Any club failing to have four players to commence play 20 minutes after the starting time shall forfeit full points for each absentee. Furthermore, any team not having sufficient players to keep the green fully occupied (not less than four sets), during the match, shall, on appeal of the opposing captain, have full points deducted for each absentee. Any team found to have entered the names and fictitious scores instead of declaring players absent will be fined £10 for each offence.
- The Home Captain shall have full control of the Green. He shall act as Referee, and his decision shall be final. During such time as the Home Captain may actually be playing a Match, his duties as Referee shall be taken by the Home Sub-Captain, or failing him, by the Nominee of the Home Captain.
- Official standard Jacks bearing a valid date stamp to be used in all League Matches and Open Competitions.
- The Visitors to have the first throw of the Jack. Check markers to be used.
- The Captain of the Home team shall ensure that all Match Scorecards reach the Fixture Secretary, by card delivery to his home address, or by electronic media, within 48 hours of the Match being completed. If sent by electronic media, the captain should retain the Scorecard.
Penalties for late submission of a Scorecard will be:
(a) First instance, the League Secretary will issue a warning to the Secretary of the offending Club.
(b) Second instance, the League Management Committee will impose a deduction of 2 points for every occurrence within a season.
29. Any team member (player or spectator) being guilty of disorderly conduct, using objectionable language or violating the rules of the League may be subject to disciplinary action, including possible expulsion from the League.
30. Protests of any such Match must be made to the League Secretary within seven days. The Club protesting must accompany the protest with a deposit of £10. The representatives of the Clubs concerned must leave the room after giving their evidence until the Executive Committee have arrived at their decision. The Executive Committee decision shall be subject to the right of appeal, and should they consider the complaint frivolous, The £10 shall be forwarded to the League.
PLAYER OF THE SEASON
The Player of the Season award is open to all registered players, and shall be awarded for each division of the league.
- To qualify, a player must play in at least three quarters (75%) of league games in a division.
- Games won will be divided by the games played to give an average.
- Total points scored will be divided by points against to give an average.
- These averages are added together to give the players a final average.
- All league games played will count. (but not cup or Plate handicap)
- If a player wins 21 – 0 by virtue of the opposing team being a player short this result will not count towards the player average, as it is a game not played.
- Any player/club found to have abused rule 6 (i.e. put in a false name and score) will be dealt with by the Executive Committee.
- Each club to be issued with a form at the end of the season, upon which they are to enter their top three players from each side within the club in each division, and return it by the date given.
- The top player in each division with the best average will receive a trophy. The following is an example of the calculations.
- Games won 19 divided by games played 23 Average = 0.826
- Points for 436 divided by points against 302 Average = 1.444
TOTAL AVERAGE = 2.270
Rule 1 Updated January 2016
ARCARI, BUTTERWORTH and SYKES CUP RULES
- These competitions are run under the auspices of the Formby & District Bowling league, and all rules of the league shall apply to these competitions.
- The Arcari Cup shall be for First Division teams, the Butterworth Shield shall be for Second Division teams and the Sykes Cup shall be for Third Division teams. Only those players registered to plsy in those teams shall be eligible to play in these competitions.
- All matches shall be played on neutral greens. The captain of the team drawn out first shall be deemed to be the ‘Home’ captain. The club on whose green the match is played shall provide standard jacks, footers, scorecards and measuring equipment.
- All matches to be on merit (off scratch) and will be 21 up. The result is based on aggregate scores. In the event of a tie, the team which has won most individual games will be declared the winner. If it is still a tie, then for games up to and including the semi-final, the winner will be the team with the best individual winner, and so on. For the final, the captains will nominate a player to play (21 up) to decide the match.
- Players must have played three or more league matches before being allowed to play for a club in a semi –final, or final, of any cup competition.**. A Walkover in a league game counts as one of the three league games played, as long as the player was present and recorded on the match card, as witnessed by the opposing captain.
- The two captains will toss a coin to decide which five players are to receive the jack (first five or second five).
- As matches are played on neutral greens, no practice is allowed.
- Players may play in only one of these competitions.
- Referees may be appointed for the finals.
Cup Rules last updated Jan 2018
** - Handicap Plate games excluded
(Thursday 15 February 2018)