Welcome to the web site of the South Manchester Veterans Bowling Association.
We exist to promote Crown Green Bowling,
Our area covers South Manchester, Droylsden, Sale, Stockport, Stretford and Wythenshaw.
See the green finder for a list of clubs and links to maps showing where they are.
We run a mixed league for teams playing on Monday & Friday afternoon, for players over 55.
Currently we have two divisions on a Monday and one on a Friday, eight players per team.
The leagues are decided on aggregate points scored.
We also run knock-out cup competitions for each division, Monday division 1 the Coronation Cup division 2 J Arnett Cup and Friday division 1 the Nuttall Cup.
An individual Merit competition and a pairs competition.
For more details please contact the Admin Secretary by email email@example.com
South Manchester Veteran’s Bowling Association
AGM AT LONGSIGHT C C (Bowling Green Lane)
ON WEDNESDAY 20th NOVEMBER 2019 at 1.30pm
1) Opening of the meeting by R Bestwick –President
2) Roll Call & Apologies
3) Obituaries – John Speak, Arnold Walker – Didsbury Pk. :- J Fletcher, G Gardner, H Jackson and S Booth - ?. David Irwin -Longford Pk.
Please inform me of any others to be added.
4) Minutes of Last AGM - Had been circulated in advance with the Agenda.
5) Minutes of Last Meeting - Had been circulated in advance with the Agenda.
6) Secretaries Report – I feel that we have had a good year and looking forward to next season, First I would like to thank Ray Langton for the donation of a new Trophy for Division one Mondays. We had a few problems with the home greens format in the KO Cups, the format for the finals of the KO Cups I think should be on a neutral green regardless of format used. We had a good turn out to watch them also the merit and pairs. Subject to format agreed at the AGM. The format for the league for next season at present Monday Division 1 11 teams and Division 2 9 teams which equal 22 weeks each, with four vacant team places, Friday 1 Division of 10 teams which covers 20 weeks (Northenden Soc joined, Ryecroft sound hopefull) with the KO cups a full season of bowling, with no matches Easter Weekend but other Bank Holiday Mondays would have to be played on the Monday or Tuesday by mutual agreement as required. The Merit and Pairs would be arranged for Tuesdays. Handbooks will only be printed 10 per team for clubs requesting them.
7) Match Secretary Report –
8) Treasurers Report and Adoption of Balance Sheet..
9.i) Change of Rules – Change of format, cup matches 4 home 4 away from Levenshulme.
9.ii) Amendment - Neutral Greens from Ashton
9.iii) League games if you only have 7 players no one allowed to play twice you lose the game 21/0. from Levenshulm
10) Election of Officers - President – Mr R Bestwick Secretary – Mr G Wood -
Match Secretary – Mr G Wood Treasurer - Mr R Bestwick.
Committee - Ken Scott. Tom Gerard,
11) Honorarium – No Change –
12) All voting decided by majority vote for or against - one vote per club
13) Date of next meetings Delegates Wednesday’s 22nd March, 10th June and 7th October with AGM at Longsight 18th November
14) A O B - None
15) Close Meeting - for Presentations after a short recess
(Monday 04 November 2019)
Merit 2019 Pairs
12th July Friday's 16th August
Entry fee £ 2 Entry fee £ 2
Venue for Merit - SWMCC draw will be made from bowlers present at 12 noon.
Venue for Pairs - Longsight draw will be made from bowlers present at 12.30pm
Crowcroft Ian Nield Crowcroft John Jordan & Bil Jordan
N Etchells Mike Hannabal Crowcroft James Collins & John Endsor
Crowcroft John Endsor Crowcroft Jim McGlynn & Tim O'Connell
N Etchells Chris Cox Albert Vets Charlie Martin & Tony Spiers
Albert Vets Charlie Martin Ladybarn Ben Scott & Terry Hester
Ladybarn Ben Scott Ladybarn Paul Reeves & Alan Telfer
Ladybarn Alan Telfer N Etchells Bernard Myers & Jean Myers
Ladybarn Paul Reeves N Etchells Chris Cox & Terry Peters
SWMCC Steve Price -3 N Etchells Peter Bradford & Joe Hardie
SWMCC Mike Ellis -3 N Etchells Mike Hannibal & Roger Bestwick
Didsbury Keith Bradbury N Etchells Paul Machin & Brian Machin
Didsbury Barry Palin
Didsbury Peter Sloan
Didsbury David Clark
SWMCC Paul Mottram -3
SMVBA Merit was played at SWMCC on Friday 12th July starting at 12.15pm. Ray Langton did the draw from those
present at 12 noon. All matches were played during a pleasent summer afternoon, with very good bowling to entertain.
SMVBA Pairs was played at Longsight CC on Friday 16th August starting at 1.45pm. Bill Greenlee did the draw from
those present at 12.30pm. All matches were played during a wet afternoon, with good bowling on a good running green.
(Monday 17 June 2019)
Coronation Cup - 2018
Winners - Levenshulme
2018 - Winners Northenden Social(Tuesday 02 October 2018)
2018 Winners - Northen Etchells "B"
Peter Bradford, Dave Thorneycroft, Terry Peters, Chris Cox, Reg Fletcher, Mike Hannibal
Mark Boland, Joe Hardie, Roger Bestwick, Dave Vaughan capt
(Wednesday 05 September 2018)
2018 - Winners Northen Etchells "B"
Mike Hannibal, Joe Hardie, Mark Boland, Peter Bradford, Dave Thorneycroft, Reg Fletcher,
Chris Cox, Terry Peters, Roger Bestwick, Dave Vaughan capt
(Wednesday 05 September 2018)
The League Pairs held on Longsight CC ( the new home of Crowcroft Park Veteran's
on Friday 7th September at 11am and played to a finish.
Winners 2018 - The Jim Barrie Pairs
Terry Hester & Ben Scott (Ladybarn)(Tuesday 28 August 2018)
The League Merit that was planned for the 31st August has been changed to the 21st September.
Listed players please confirm to me (George Wood details in handbook) that you still wish to play
on the new date.
If you want to be included and not shown below, you can still enter, please contact me.
The Presedents Cup was won by Ben Scott of Ladybarn on a very wet Friday.
2018 - Finalists
Runner-up Phil Rudkin - Winner Ben Scott
(Monday 27 August 2018)
Venues for the Semi Finals of both competitions:-
Coronation Cup - Selected greens are Northen Etchells & Ashton
J Arnett Cup - Selected greens are SWMCC & Highbank
Above venues have all been confirmed.
The Final of both competitions will be at Longsight CC the new home
of Crowcroft Park Vets on Monday 1st October start at 1pm
Would last years winners please return cups to me before the final day or to Longsight CC on the day. THANKS
Good Luck, Have a great afternoon to all competing teams, George
The above details are correct as the 1st October.
Refeshments ie tea and biscuit a charge of 20p under league rules is allowed, but I suggest that a small football card would off set the cost better.
(Monday 27 August 2018)