Welcome to the web site of the South Manchester Veterans Bowling Association.
We exist to promote Crown Green Bowling,
Our area covers South Manchester, Droylsden, Sale, Stockport, Stretford and Wythenshaw.
See the green finder for a list of clubs and links to maps showing where they are.
We run a mixed league for teams playing on Monday & Friday afternoon, for players over 55.
Currently we have two divisions on a Monday and one on a Friday, eight players per team.
The leagues are decided on aggregate points scored.
We also run knock-out cup competitions for each division, Monday division 1 the Coronation Cup division 2 J Arnett Cup and Friday division 1 the Nuttall Cup.
An individual Merit competition and a pairs competition.
For more details please contact the Admin Secretary by email email@example.com
Bob Smith - High Bank
Reg Fletcher - Northen Etchells
Sorry to say, just been informed by Steve Howell that a very old friend of mine, we spent many
years playing at the George Hotel at Compstall during some very cold winters, He will be
sadly missed. Reg will pass the club on Thursday 3rd December at approx 9-15 am
Derek Atkinson passed away Friday night 13 November, he was a life time member of Northen
Etchells and office holder of the SMVBA - Informed by Roger Bestwick. Derek will pass the club
on Monday 7th December at appox 12 noon on his way to the Manchester Crem
Been informed Roy Grundy - AEU as passed away awaiting further details 2nd November 2020
Northern Etchells - Brian Machin passed away 13th May 2020 -
Message from Roger Bestwick - Just found out that Walley Marshall passed away on the 4th April
Aged 88. His funeral was on the 28th April. He played in the South Manchester Vets for Hullard Club
until its demise in 2011-2012 and for Didsbury Park in the Cheadle & Gatley evening league. He will
be remembered by many as the much respected Chairman & President of the SMVBA.
Reported 25/6 by Terry Foley - Highbank, the lose of Alan Bains and George Rawson.
From Mike Robinson - West Heaton - Unfortunately, I have to report recently the demise of one of
our players. Robert Stringer (Bob) passed away on the 6th June. His furneral arrangements are on the
From Ray Langton - Ladybarn - Sad news, I am afraid our former chairman Peter (Rhino) Ryan died
today 12/7. I have no further news but will pass any on as it arrives. R I P. Funeral details Stockport
on Thursday 23/7 at 1pm family only.
Peter was also our former League Match Secretary and my friend over many years - George
Also Dougie Woodbridge as passed away - Funeral 3rd August at 12.30pm - report by Harry Evans
|(Thursday 14 May 2020)|
Owing to the Coronavirus outbreak our formal meeting
as been cancelled for Wednesday morning 10.30am at
Ladybarn 18th March 2020.
Handbooks, Match Sheets etc. Should be collected from
me before the season is due to start on 3rd April.
Please phone 07860 374 344 to arrange collection.
Coronavirus - Please watch this space for updates
Correction to Handbook
Please note correct numbers 0161 431 7591 / 07860 374 344 for Admin Secretary
Updated information for Longford Park
There are 4 spaces for 'Blue Badge' Holders Only outside the Club.
Will all Bowlers please note and use.
The Athletics Ground Car Park, located in Ryebank Road off Edge Lane
Stretford, which is only a short walk to the Bowling Green.
Updated information for Levenshulme / Greenbank
Club Name Change - Levenshulme are now to be known as Greenbank B C
Change of Monday Captain Mr K Pulford 0161 442 6900 / 07751 751 828
|(Sunday 12 January 2020)|
South Manchester Veteran’s Bowling Association
AGM AT LONGSIGHT C C (Bowling Green Lane)
ON WEDNESDAY 20th NOVEMBER 2019 at 1.30pm
1) Meeting opened by R Bestwick –President
2) Roll Call & Apologies
3) Obituaries – John Speak, Arnold Walker – Didsbury Pk. :- J Fletcher, G Gardner, H Jackson and S Booth - ?. David Irwin -Longford Pk.
4) Minutes of Last AGM - Had been circulated in advance with the Agenda - Accepted
5) Minutes of Last Meeting - Had been circulated in advance with the Agenda - Accepted
6) Secretaries Report – I feel that we have had a good year and looking forward to next season, First I would like to thank Ray Langton for the donation of a new Trophy for Division one Mondays. We had a few problems with the home greens format in the KO Cups, the format for the finals of the KO Cups I think should be on a neutral green regardless of format used. Format for next season, four home / four away up to the semi-final and then neutral green (Accepted). We had a good turn out to watch them also the merit and pairs. Subject to format agreed at the AGM. The format for the league for next season at present Monday Division 1 11 teams and Division 2 9 teams which equal 22 weeks each, with four vacant team places, Friday 1 Division of 10 teams which covers 20 weeks (Northenden Soc joined, Ryecroft sound hopefull) with the KO cups a full season of bowling, with no matches Easter Weekend but other Bank Holiday Mondays would have to be played on the Monday or Tuesday by mutual agreement as required. The Merit and Pairs would be arranged for Tuesdays. Handbooks will only be printed 10 per team for clubs requesting them.
7) Match Secretary Report –
8) Treasurers Report and Adoption of Balance Sheet. - Accepted
9.i) Change of Rules – Change of format, cup matches 4 home 4 away from Levenshulme. - Accepted
9.ii) Amendment - Neutral Greens from Ashton - Rejected
9.iii) League games if you only have 7 players no one allowed to play twice you lose the game 21/0. from Levenshulme - Rejected
10) Election of Officers - President – Mr R Bestwick Secretary – Mr G Wood -
Match Secretary – Mr G Wood Treasurer - Mr R Bestwick.
Committee - Ken Scott. Tom Gerard, ( all confirmed )
11) Honorarium – Increased to – £
12) All voting decided by majority vote for or against - one vote per club
13) Date of next meetings Delegates Wednesday’s 18th March, 10th June and 7th October with AGM at Longsight 18th November
14) A O B - None
15) Meeting closed - for Presentations after a short recess
|(Monday 4 November 2019)|
Coronation Cup - 2018
Winners - Levenshulme
|(Wednesday 10 October 2018)|
2018 - Winners Northenden Social
|(Tuesday 2 October 2018)|
2018 Winners - Northen Etchells "B"
Peter Bradford, Dave Thorneycroft, Terry Peters, Chris Cox, Reg Fletcher, Mike Hannibal
Mark Boland, Joe Hardie, Roger Bestwick, Dave Vaughan capt
|(Wednesday 5 September 2018)|
2018 - Winners Northen Etchells "B"
Mike Hannibal, Joe Hardie, Mark Boland, Peter Bradford, Dave Thorneycroft, Reg Fletcher,
Chris Cox, Terry Peters, Roger Bestwick, Dave Vaughan capt
|(Wednesday 5 September 2018)|
The League Pairs held on Longsight CC ( the new home of Crowcroft Park Veteran's
on Friday 7th September at 11am and played to a finish.
Winners 2018 - The Jim Barrie Pairs
Terry Hester & Ben Scott (Ladybarn)
|(Tuesday 28 August 2018)|
The League Merit that was planned for the 31st August has been changed to the 21st September.
Listed players please confirm to me (George Wood details in handbook) that you still wish to play
on the new date.
If you want to be included and not shown below, you can still enter, please contact me.
The Presedents Cup was won by Ben Scott of Ladybarn on a very wet Friday.
2018 - Finalists
Runner-up Phil Rudkin - Winner Ben Scott
|(Monday 27 August 2018)|
Venues for the Semi Finals of both competitions:-
Coronation Cup - Selected greens are Northen Etchells & Ashton
J Arnett Cup - Selected greens are SWMCC & Highbank
Above venues have all been confirmed.
The Final of both competitions will be at Longsight CC the new home
of Crowcroft Park Vets on Monday 1st October start at 1pm
Would last years winners please return cups to me before the final day or to Longsight CC on the day. THANKS
Good Luck, Have a great afternoon to all competing teams, George
The above details are correct as the 1st October.
Refeshments ie tea and biscuit a charge of 20p under league rules is allowed, but I suggest that a small football card would off set the cost better.
|(Monday 27 August 2018)|